Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

how can get my ex boyfriend to pay me back the money that I

Customer Question

how can get my ex boyfriend to pay me back the money that I lent to him?
He signed me a paper that he notarized where he recognized owed to me certain amount and he take engagment to pay me back but he always argue that he cannot do it now..
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hi there Elisa....Since your boyfriend will not voluntarily pay you, you need to file a lawsuit against him. If the amount is under $5,000, you can file your suit in small claims court...which you can do without the need of a lawyer. Being that you have a notarized document showing he owes you the money, you will simply need to prove he has not paid you.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
in fact he owed me 30000 $ since last year september 2008 he promised me to start payement and he never done it , just 500 $ one wire and that s it
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Wow! Then you would need to bring suit against him in your local district court. One other thing that you might try is to tell him he basically defrauded you out of the money and that you are going to file an ethics complaint against him with the State Bar Association.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he answer me when I told him this that I was not a client there is no bill so it not the same thing
i am willing to pay you more if you can help me
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

I understand you are not a client, but as an attorney, he is an officer of the court and he is not supposed to commit fraudulent acts. I think the State Bar would be interested. You can also tell him that when you file suit, you are going to charge him with fraud....i.e., that he basically defrauded you out of the money in that his intent was to never pay you back. You might not prevail with these, but they are legitimate enough claims to bring them and you will certainly get his attention with these.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how much would a legal action cost in this case and do lawyers work soley on a percetage of the amount of money recovered
also i do not have his current address but know his license in the state of pensylvania and his driven license and his mother cell phone , he was living with her for a while....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you got my question
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Well, it wouldn't cost so much to write the demand letters, contact the State Bar, and file the suit...when things get expensive is when trial takes place...but you most likely won't get to that point. Once he sees your serious, he will settle this with you. If he is employed, you can easily find that address and send his letters and have him served there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how could i found his adress?i just got email addresses
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.....Had to go to bed......Good morning to you.

His address should not be that hard to find if he is a practicing attorney. If you know where he lives, he is probably in the yellow pages under "Attorneys." You could look him up in "Martindale-Hubbel" - which lists all lawyers. You could also find him via his membership in the State Bar Association. You can send correspondence to him and serve him at this office address if you can't find his home address.