Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

My dad got hit and killed by a car in Portland OR. He was in

My dad got hit and killed by a car in Portland OR. He was in a wheelchair and crossing out of a crosswalk. The police say it was his falt. The driver was not cited. My uncle wont tell my grandfather of my fathers death. Its been over two months my father had no will and no one from the state has contacted me.
Will probat find me? Is my father now out of my grandfathers will? Can my uncle change my grandfathers will now that my dads dead?
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father.

If your father did not have a will, he would have been considered to have passed intestate. What this means is that the state law would determine who would inherit his assets. Under Oregon intestacy law, if he was married and had all children with his wife, she would inherit everything. If he was widowed, then everything would pass to his children. A family member would need to file a petition to open a probate case in order to administer and settle the estate.

If your grandfather has your father listed as a beneficiary, then when your grandfather passes, any inheritance will pass to the same beneficiaries that inherit from his estate.

Only your grandfather can change his will.

I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption.