MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced attorney in contract law, litigation and employment law
16277701

I am 35, and I am finally going on maternity leave in about

I am 35, and I am finally going on maternity leave in about 3 weeks in the state of NJ. After the 2-4 week and 6-8 week disability period, what do I need to do in order to collect unemployment? I would like to stay home for 1-2 years to care for my new-born. If I quit, can I still collect? after 4 or 6 weeks? If I go back to work, how long do I have to work before giving notice? I have been at my current job since June 2006.
Expert:  MDLaw replied 7 years ago.
You cannot collect unemployment if you quit a job. Unemployment benefits are only for those workers who lose their jobs through no fault of their own.

If you want to quit your job, there is no requirement for giving notice unless you have a contract that requires notice. Also, sometimes an employer will state in their employee handbooks that you must give a certain amount of notice in order to receive certain compensation, i.e. unused vacation leave.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But friends and family are telling me that if you quit, there is a 4 or 6 week penalty period, and then you can begin collecting. Is this no longer the case because of current economy?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 7 years ago.
No, that has never been the case. If you quit, you do not collect unemployment. The purpose of unemployment has always been to compensate those who lose their jobs through no fault of their own. Logically speaking, if someone could quit and collect unemployment, that would mean that there would be a lot of people quitting their jobs just because they didn't feel like working. That has never been the purpose of the system.