How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son in may of o9 was 18 months old. he was diagnossed with

Customer Question

my son in may of o9 was 18 months old. he was diagnossed with sever anemia from drinking to much whole milk. this lead to a life threatning blood clot in his brain and then a tumor developed on his spinal cord attaching to the brian. the specatlist said if the tumor get worse there is nothing they can do. he would pass on. i want to know if i can sue the company that produced the milk i bought at walmart for NO WARNING ABOUT THE HARMEFULL AFFECT MILK CAN HAVE ON TODDLERS. i may loose my son over this. if i saw a warning i would of done more research on alterntive milk sources. ex. soy milk
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

You definitely need to consult a local plaintiff's attorney as soon as possible. You have a couple of potential claims here that could result in significant recovery. That is not to say they are sure wins... but they are worth exploring.


1) You have asked about suing the milk companies for a potential products liability action. Here is a brief article on products liability law ... . Essentially you would need to show that the product was defective, dangerous, or improperly marketed (failing to warn of known dangers). If you can demonstrate that your child suffers from adverse side effects of milk that were known to the company, then you could potentially sue them for damages for failing to properly warn of these potential harmful effects.


Suing the milk companies will be expensive, time consuming, and difficult. However, a seasoned attorney who is experienced in complex products liability cases will be able to give you an idea of your chances for recovery and the risks associated with filing a lawsuit.


2) It is possible that your pediatrician should have caught this problem earlier and warned you of the negative impact milk has on children. Failing to do this could fall below the minimum acceptable standard of care in your area and therefore constitute medical malpractice. Your attorney will want to carefully review the medical records with their own experts to make this determination.


So you need a good lawyer who is experienced in medical malpractice and products liability. The best way to find a good lawyer is by referral (friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, etc)... if that is not possible you can try the phone directory or an online directory such as where you can search by practice area and geographical location. Initial consultations for cases such as this are normally free of charge.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.