How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36622
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is a patient entitled to a copy of the results of a blood test

Resolved Question:

Is a patient entitled to a copy of the results of a blood test instead of being called by the doctor's office and verbally told the results?
And then charging $.75 cents a page if I want a copy? Shouldn't the patient be given this free as part of the entire transaction?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.



Under HIPPA laws, you have a right to view and obtain a copy of your medical records.


In New York, you have the right to:

  • See and get a copy of your medical record.


Your health care provider usually must let you inspect or see your medical record

within ten (10) days of receiving your written request. Your health care provider

generally must give you a copy of your medical record within 30 days after they

receive your request.

Your health care provider is allowed to charge you up to 75¢ per page for paper

copies. They can also charge you for postage. Your provider cannot refuse to

give you access to your medical record just because you are unable to pay for it.



So you have the right to view it, but they can charge you up to 75 cents a page unless you tell them you can't afford it.








I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption.

Barrister and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no further comment. Obtain your fee