Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

afer 4 years of month to month occupancy can a landlord ask

Customer Question

afer 4 years of month to month occupancy can a landlord ask for retroactive sewer payments
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Good evening. Unless there is something in writing that indicated you were responsible for sewer payments, then, NO, the landlord cannot now decide that the tenant is responsible for past sewer payments.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The current landlord purchased this property after I was already a tenant. After 4 years, she reviewed the lease and told me I was responsible for sewer charges. I could not locate my copy of the lease (been here 10 years) so I told her that I was not sure I was responsible. I have asked her on 4 separate occasions for a copy of the lease and she has refused to provide me with it. Also, there is only 1 sewer bill for the property which includes both her unit and mine. The bill is addressed to her. I have paid half the sewer bills subsequent to her request but I am hesitant to hand over 746.00 for previous bills.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

If I were you I would not pay anything further. Even if you were responsible, which she needs to prove, I would take the position that because no claim was made, that these were essentially waived...especially as it relates to any period prior to her ownership. I think you have gone above and beyond by paying half.