legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas

I took out a loan in my name for my friend who couldn get

I took out a loan in my name for my friend who could'n get a loan. I told them as long as they pay it back. I did'n have them to sign documents I just took there word. Now we are ex the loan is due to be paid and its coming out of my account. they have a washer and dryer in my storage I told them that would be my collateral until they pay the loan back and i'm giving them thirty days. Well someone else bought it for them and now wants it back they paid with there credit card. I told them that,that person owe's me money and she said thats between you and her but I want my washer and dryer. do I take this loan as a loss and give the other person back the washer and dryer they bought for the other person?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
If the ex friend gave you the washer and dryer to hold as collateral then you do not have to return it to the other person. If they want their money or their items their agreement was with your ex friend and they must pursue that person to get the money or items. You do not have to give them to anyone until a court orders you to do so.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
they never said it was collateral I told them it was intil they pay me back the loan again her grandmother bought the washer and dryer for my ex and now the grandmother wants it back she tells me its was temporary intil my ex get a place thats furnish a washer and dryer my question is the washer and dryer the grandmother wants back she said she paid with a credit card my dispute is with my ex for the loan the grandmother said the loan does'nt have anything to do with her. she said thats between me and my ex.
If she gave the washer and dryer to the ex then it is their property and you can hold it until they pay you for the loan. If the grandmother wants the W&D back she has to get the ex to pay you what the ex owes you or the ex has to pay the grandmother for the cost of the W&D since the ex no longer has control of the W&D. You have no way of knowing that the ex has not paid for the W&D in full and this is the ex's way of getting them from you without paying you. You should file a small claims court case for the payment of the loan and when you win that you ask for an order allowing you to sieze the W&D and sell them to repay the judgment the ex now owes you.