Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

if i am holding a family members vehicle on my property and

if i am holding a family members vehicle on my property and the credit union or bank wants to reposses the vehicle am I hindering the process by not allowing them to have it when it is not mine to release ?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.
Hi there:

the answer to your question is yes, but what is your concern with "hindering the process"?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I realize I would be hinding the process ,but can they take me to jail or what can they do to me.? If the person that owns the property is not here to give it to them , it is not my property to give away. They will have to wait until the owner comes to give it to them. That is what I was told also.
Hi again:

this would potentially be a civil matter, but it would not ordinarily be a criminal one. They could hypothetically get a court order allowing the sheriff to enter your land to retrieve it, but that would require court notice and a hearing.

Let me know if more information is needed, and please remember to click "accept". Thank you.