LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I received a call from Windham Professionals, Inc. of Salem,

I received a call from Windham Professionals, Inc. of Salem, NH threating to garnish my wages, this is regarding my student loan. I do not know these people. They knew I had a Loam with Sallie Mae and another studen loan with a govt. agency. I have been paying. But, I don't earn enough to pay both, these people at windam want me to go thru a loan rehabilita, starting immediately , and get another loan at an interest rate of 18 interest at the end of paying them for nine months. My sallie mae account is up to date.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 years ago.
This company is in the business of collecting outstanding debt. They are going to pressure you and do what they need to, to get the money owed. For them to garnish your wages, they first need to file a lawsuit against you and get a judgment. After, if you do not pay the judgment, they can then garnish your wages. You certainly can try and work something else out with them, to prevent them filing a lawsuit against you. It will take you a long time, to first go into a loan rehabilitation program with them and then after, pay 18% interest on another loan, thereafter. Try and inquire with Sallie Mae, if you can defer your loan for a short period of time, until you are able to earn some more money. Also, consider working out an alternative payment plan, with Windham Professionals, so they stop harassing you. Maybe you can pay them less then the $275 per month they want and still make them happy.