HPlawyer
HPlawyer, Attorney
Experience:  GA Lawyer

how can I get my pip money directly paid to me

Customer Question

how can I get my pip money directly paid to me?
Expert:  HPlawyer replied 4 years ago.
The easiest way is to read your policy of coverage and provide notice to your insurance carrier.

I will warn you that your insurance company generally has a right of recovery for damages you suffered but were caused by a third party if you have been previously covered by an additional policy (most insurance policies provide clauses that avoid double recovery). The insurance company may also pay any medical providers that have placed a medical lien against any insurance proceeds.

You may also wish to consult with a local Personal Injury or Business/Transactional lawyer to read your contract. Many of these attorneys will offer free consultations, and while they will undoubtedly want more information from you, they will be in a better position to analyze your situation.

I hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: Although I am an attorney, absent a signed retention and engagement letter, I am not your attorney. There are no exceptions to this rule. Moreover, you shall not rely on the information I am providing you, as it is only for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Indeed, my analysis is always based on the laws of Georgia, and your jurisdiction might have substantially different laws and requirements. As such, you should always contact an attorney that practices in your local area.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm still confused....
I just wanted to know how to get them(my insurance) to cut a check directly to me. Is that possible, without having to go see a doctor first? and will I or can I get money for pain and suffering? When I opened up a claim they said that I could go through my insurance and then they would go after the other person's insurance.
My insurance is Geico and their insurance is MAIF.
I hope this will help.
Thanks
Expert:  HPlawyer replied 4 years ago.
My apologies for not being clear. Your are correct that you can go through your insurance and Geico will go after the other person's insurance.

You will most likely to have to see a doctor first to establish damages prior to receiving a check from your insurance company. The insurance policy will not compensate you if you were in an accident and incurred no damages or injury. Rather, the insurance policy is meant to protect you if there are damages/injury. (Otherwise, anytime someone gets in a fender bender, this person would be entitled to the maximum amount of his or her PIP.)   

Likewise, money for pain and suffering will depend largely on any injury/damages you establish. It is hard to argue there is pain and suffering if there is no record that you have or had an injury. The best way to establish a record of injury is through a doctor's diagnosis and treatment.

Does this clarify the situation at all?

HPlawyer, Attorney
Experience: GA Lawyer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Damages were incurred on my vehicle from this accident. I do have pain and my children have also been suffering from headaches. Our vehicle was larger than the car that hit us, but the car that hit us went under our minivan. (the other vehicle was a honda accord).
Thank for your help!-)
Expert:  HPlawyer replied 4 years ago.
I am glad my answer helps, but I am sorry you and your children have been in pain.

I wish you all the best!