Legal Professional
Legal Professional, Lawyer.
Experience:  JD, 10 years representing clients, 75+ Trials
9045092

Hi, Im currently going through a domestic spit. we are unmarried

Hi, I'm currently going through a domestic spit. we are unmarried and have no dependants. we have lived in our current house for two and a half years and we are both co-signers on the mortage. we have both contributed equally to the bills etc since moving in. we are currently selling the house and my ex partner is staking a claim on the entire equity value after fees's etc, claming that the deposit for the house came from the sale of her flat. We had lived together for almost 2 years in the flat and I had paid every month into her account for bills / food etc. I have also relinquished any claim on the family car and have carried out extensive work on our current property, including plastering and re-fitting a new kitchen including a total re-decoration of the property. My ex partner intends to take me court to fight for the sole right of any residual funds. Where do i Stand ?. Many thanks. Matt
Expert:  Legal Professional replied 7 years ago.
Your remedy is in contract... That is to say what was the agreement.. since each of you will have a different story about what the agreement was if any, the court will look at your actions to determine what it must have been...

Further, a court is unlikely to =figure you made these investments in time and money with no expectation of sharing in any return.. So I doubt she will prevail as she claims.. However, if you do not fight her, she can win be default...