Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

Are parents responsible for adult childrens medical bills

Are parents responsible for adult children's medical bills if they are covered under their health insurance?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hi Johnny_Meat:

how old are the children? Are they still living at home? Are they full-time students?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The child in question is a full-time student and living with my ex-wife in Ohio where 1) he is attending school and 2) he incurred the medical bills.
How old is the child in question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
21
for clarification, are you asking whether the parents must pay the normal co-pay, etc. to the insurance company, or whether the insurance company must be reimbursed for the entire bill?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The insurance co. has made good on their portion of the bill. The medical providers are claiming that I (as the provider of the adult child's insurance) am responsible for the remainder. I am asserting that the adult child is responsible for this remainder. The answer provided by "Wiki answer" was "No - that insurance is a service and that the responsibility lies with the adult child that received the service."
Hi again:

as a matter of law, the answer would generally be "no", parents are not responsible for the medical bills of their adult children. However, where you have an adult child age 23 and under who is a full-time student and under the parents' medical insurance, there is ordinarily liability as a matter of contract; I obviously am not in a position to review your contract with the insurance provider, but if there is acceptance of responsibility for the co-pay expenses by the parent under that contract, the the provider would absolutely be able to seek reimbursement from either the parent or the adult child. The medical provider basically accepts the patient with the assurance that, pursuant to the medical coverage agreement with the insurance provider, the patient or his parent will pay the co-pay.

That is admittedly a little bit muddled, so let me know if further assistance is needed. Otherwise, please click "accept". Thank you.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.