Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

If someone threatens to do harm to me over the phone but I

If someone threatens to do harm to me over the phone but I was the only one to hear it can I still press charges?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Good Evening,

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer, I will be glad to help you with your question

Q. In what state do you live?

Q.What exactly was said to you, what words were used?

ANDREA

Member, NY & PA Bar

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in New Jersey.

We were trying to hire a contractor to repair our Porch. After he sent a E-mail to my wife calling her a f**ken Morion. I tried to call him and find out what this was all about. When he answered the phone he said "What do you want you f**ken pussy" then he threatened to kick my ass. He then told me that he knowns where I live and again said he was going to kick my ass. He then said some things in reference to my wife that I just couldn't believe.

Thank you for your prompt Reply, Customer,

If someone who says they know where you live, uses threatening words which, when taking all the surrounding circumstances into consideration, put you in fear of bodily injury to yourself, or your wife you most certainly can press charges against them.

The police should in your town should have written up a police report when you told them about the thretening calls; after all, if anything should happen and you call 911, it's the police in your town that are supposed to protect you, not the police from another town.

I suggest that you file a complaint in both places; go to the town where this person lives and tell them what your police department told you. Then go back to the police in your town, tell them you did what they told you to do and insist you want to file a complaint with them also, saying they are the ones who are supposed to be protecting you.

If you do not get satisfaction from your police department, go in person to the District Attorney's Office for your county, tell them exactly what the police told you to do, that you followed their instructions, but you still do not feel safe and ask what the District Attorney's Office can do in this situation.

Good Morning

Because of site limitations, my screen sometimes does not show your entire post, so I apologize in advance If I am asking questions whose answers you have already written

I hope this has answered your question. If you have questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me. You can do so by putting my name at the beginning of your question.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Leaving positive feedback, Bonus, etc., are always appreciated. ______________________________________________________________________________

Thank you and Good Luck!

ANDREA

Member, NY & PA Bar

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ANDREA
Thank you for you answer. The problem is that I work in one town I live in another town and he lives in PA near Phil. That's an 1 1/2 hours from me. and out of state.

I'm sorry the police are not doing their job and they've placed you in such a situation. I wish I could say, "I'm surprised" or "Gee, I've never heard that happening before", but unfortunately, I can't. And do you know what the problem is in today's society?

The police, the people who are supposed to be protecting us, who get paid with our tax money to protect us, just don't feel like working. I'll get off my soap box now.

I suggest 2 things and I'll tell you the 2nd thing first. I do know if you have this in your state, but in Pennsylvania, you can go to the District Attorney's Office and file a "Private Criminal Complaint" and then then the District Atorney's Office gets involved and, if approved, the person is prosecuted.

I learned through experience that if I wanted someone to do something, I would go to the top man in his department, someone wh had the authority to get things moving and done.

So, the first thing to do is to call the non-emergency number for your police department and ask to speak to the Chief of Police, you'll get his secretary; tell her you want an appointment with the Chief of Police because there is a very pressing matter you need to speak to him about. Go in and talk to the chief and tell him what's going on. That should get things moving

Thank you and Good Luck!

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.