C.Fortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted NYS Bar, member ABA, NYSBA, NYCBA, QCBA, Licensed Real Estate Broker

I own a duplex in Washington State. I live in one unit and

I own a duplex in Washington State. I live in one unit and need to rent the other unit. A couple with one child and another on the way is interested in renting. The building is not sound proof, therefore I fear that I will no longer have peace and quiet in the evenings.   My other concern is that a relative will stay with them for eight weeks. Can I refuse to rent to them based on these two issues without facing a discrimination suit?
Will you accept $20.00?
Thank you
Expert:  C.Fortunato replied 7 years ago.
In Washington state (and in many states), owner-occupied dwellings with less than 4 units are exempt from discrimination laws.

Here is a website where you can get more information about what you can and cannot do: