How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my divorce was fnal in 2006 and the other spouse was awarded

Customer Question

If my divorce was fnal in 2006 and the other spouse was awarded with assests and retrieved most items and now 3 and a half years later she wants the rest and they are no longer in my possession did the o spouse lose all of those belongings after all the time has past?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Why are they no longer in your possession? Did you sell the items that were awarded to your spouse?

What state are you located in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still have all the items but they were belongings to my family that dates back 40 years ago and have no meaning to her and the other items that she would like ae valuable glass jars that were my mothers before she past and now she would like $1000 for those items
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Technically speaking, if your spouse was awarded your items, even if they were family heirlooms, she is entitled to them. If you want to keep them, then consider paying her a mutually agreed upon fee, get it in writing that your ex gives up all her rights to those items, and move on.

If you do not give up those items, or you do not negotiate with her, she can take you to corut for disobeying a direct court order, and possibly charge with contempt of court, and additionally try to get the court to award her punitive damages.

I am sorry.

Sincerely, XXXXX Esq.