Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

In the state of Illinois, if my son who is 19 drops his college

Customer Question

In the state of Illinois, if my son who is 19 drops his college work load from 12 hours to 6 because he has to drop a couple classes, is he still covered under my insurance?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Do you have state-run insurance or private insurance?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In the state of Illinois, do you have to carry 12 hours of college course work to be still covered under the parents insurance plan? If a student starts out with 12 hours, but has to drop a class or two is he/she still covered under parents insurance? Does it even matter anymore as long as they are under the age of 24?
This is not a legal question, but a privately run health-insurance question.

I suggest you contact your health insurance to make sure. However, in my history with a myriad of health insurance providers, they tend to average out credits (in case someone drops or adds but still officially stays as full-time on the rolls of the college). So long as the college shows yur son as full-time, then typically health insurance honor that as well.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I called my insurance company and a student has to carry a minimum of 12 hours per semester to be covered under the parents insurance plan.

I paid the credit card bill yesterday, so even though your answer was not correct, you can have the $38 I agreed to pay.

You never formally accepted my answer, and as such I was never compensated. Since my answer was not what you needed, I will be happy to contact the moderators on your behalf and request that your deposit be returned.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate that.

Sincerely,

Chuck Floarke