Lisa M.
Lisa M., Attorney
Experience:  3 years experience as general practioner.
7870549

16 years ago my daughter was born, at that time my wife was

16 years ago my daughter was born, at that time my wife was married to another. On her birth certificate the hospital put her husband's name. We obtained a court order changing her name, but until recently we discovered the ex-husband's name is XXXXX XXXXX the original birth certificate. How do we go about chaning that to the natural father's name?
Expert:  Lisa M. replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

You need to take your court order to the Department of Vital Statistics, show it to them and fill out a form. They will then change the birth certificate and issue you a new one.

If I have answered your questions satisfactorily, please press the accept button below. If I have not or you have further questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Lisa M.

Thank you for your JustAnswer request. Please be advised that since each State has different laws, I am not able to give you a complete answer that a local attorney may provide. Additionally, this answer does not constitute legal advice and there no attorney-client relationship between us. You understand that Lisa M. is providing this information for the sole purpose of helping you to seek and find legal counsel in your particular state.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the surname has been changed...but the name of the ex-husband is still showing as the natural father
Expert:  Lisa M. replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

I apologize for this. If you haven't done so already, you will need to have a paternity test. If you bring this report to the vital records office, they will change the name on the birth certificate.

Best regards,
Lisa M.