Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

Is it possible to have a title and deed search to the original

Is it possible to have a title and deed search to the original property owners
what would be the cost
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

If you want a comprehensive title search of a property, I would suggest contacting either a local title company or a real estate attorney. Title searches are conducted by reviewing the chain of title of the deeds in the county clerk's office as well as tax records and any lien or encumbrance books in the office. In Kentucky, a 30 year title search can usually be purchased for around $200 through a title company with "title opinion". The title opinion is the attorney's or title company's certification that the search was conducted and notes any exceptions and their opinion as to the owner's rights to the property. If an attorney conducts one, it is usually around $400 in KY.

They yield the same results and I prefer title companies as they are usually more familiar with searches since they do them on a daily basis at a lower cost. They are both insured as accurate under the Errors and Omissions insurance against errors. Costs may vary depending on the state and the time involved.

My ultimate goal is your satisfaction. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question afterward clicking ACCEPT, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption. Thank you for your consideration.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you.