RBinJax, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for 28 years. Personal injury, Social Security, family, work comp, criminal trial practice.

Employers checks not cashable. What can I do

Employer's checks not cashable. What can I do?
Expert:  RBinJax replied 7 years ago.

Contact the local office of the Federal Wage and Hour Board and let them know what has happened. If you have a union job, contact the local about the problem. You also can contact the state and city/local government offices responsible for overseeing such matters for their assistance. One or more of these will be able to help you unless your employer has gone belly up, in which case you need to check and see if the state has a fund to cover such situations.

I hope this answers your questions. Please click Accept so that I may be credited for my assistance. Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a union job. Is it best to contact the union? Should the other city/local government offices you referred to also be contacted?   Would this be the State Attorney office and what devision?
Expert:  RBinJax replied 7 years ago.

I would contact every agency you can think of, including the state attorney's office. There should be state and local government offices that handle civil disputes over wages too, and they should be listed in the blue pages of the phone book or just call the local government's main line, give them a brief outline of the facts and ask to be directed to the appropriate agency for help. There has to be a state agency that oversees auto dealerships, so locate and contact them for help.

I also would contact the union for assistance and to put them on alert that this has occurred and that there may be more similarly situated who will need help. Also, the union may be able to direct you to the goverment agencies that can help.

The more sources of pressure that can be brought to bear, the better the chance that the checks will be made good.

I hope this helps.