Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

My grand daughter got a divorce and My wife and were not party

My grand daughter got a divorce and My wife and were not party to such action. But, Her exhusband had it put into the divorce that My wife and I can not show up when our great grand son is droped off for visiton at a local Mc Donalds. There is not legal reason my wife and can not go to the Mc Donalds. To us this is a restraning order with out our right to go before the courts. We are in our 60's and have never been arrested, infact we own our own business and have been involed in the community for years. Is there any thing we can do inorder to fill a law suit? Garland

There is no basis for you to file a suit against the ex husband. What you can do however is file for visitation with the child. If you had a prior relationship with your grand child a court will allow you visitation irrespective of what is in the divorce decree. The divorce decree put limits on the parents. A court does not have jurisdiction over your conduct unless you were a party to the case.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is not a visitation problem. But because it is in my grand daughters divorce if we show can she be in contemp?

If the decree puts a restriction on your conduct, and you violate the decree then your daughter cannot be held in contempt unless she brought the child to you. If visitation is scheduled at McDonalds and you know about it and show up your daughter is not in contempt. She has no control over the situation and cannot be held in contempt for your conduct.