Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

According to EEOC, I to have notify them if I filed a civil

According to EEOC, I to have notify them if I filed a civil lawsuit. EEOC Director still has 30 out of 180 days to decide on my complaint (discrimination based on sex, national origin, retaliation). Meanwhile I filed a civil lawsuit in which consists of 2 sets of different claims--(1)Violation of Equal Pay act, and (2)breach of contract, wrongful termination, management malpractice, etc. Since the claims are only partially related, should I wait for 30 days or notify EEOC now? I might be risking that EEOC can though out my complaint automatically, without looking at the differences.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You should notify the EEOC immediately, since on the discrimination claims you need their right to sue letter or those claims could be thrown out for failure to exhaust administrative process if you included those discrimination claims in your suit. The notice of the suit on the different claims will not hurt your complaint with the EEOC, what they generally will do is give you the right to sue letter and allow you to amend your suit if you have not already included those claims in your suit and if you have then it allows those claims to proceed to court.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The case was filed on August 11, but it was served on August 25. What dates should I put
for EEOC?
You need to notify them of the filing date of the suit.