Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Where can I find grant money to build a room for myself. I

Customer Question

Where can I find grant money to build a room for myself. I live with my parents in a small home that is cluttered with 54 years of stuff they cannot throw away. I have nowhere to keep my things w/out everything being on top of me and it makes me irritable and sick living this way. Just a small room that is mine. Is this possible? Thanks so much for your time and consideration. Sheila Laney
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Are you trying to build a room for commercial purposes?

Where do you want the room to be built? (On your parental property or some other location?)

What state are in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want the room to be an addition to my parent's home which they approve. I'd like it built on to my bedroom - a separate room. I'd like to put a jacuzzi in there for my health problems and also my computer/tv sitting room also w/table b/c I'm thinking of starting a jewelry business. Making jewelry to make ends meet. I live in Alabama.
Sheila,

What you are requesting is in essence having someone else provide you with funds to improve your parent's property. Unfortunately, other then based on specific need and not simply based on your desire, those grants do not exist. You are currently residing with family--if they have too much stuff at home that makes it uncomfortable for you to live there, I suggest you possibly consider renting a storage unit. In addition, you may want to consider applying for a home equity loan.

You are not a business or a charitable institution, so there is no specific condition for you to file for a grant. You are not a laboratory working for a disease, nor are you a survivor of a destroyed home due to a natural disaster.

I am sorry.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would think that I am in need of a place to live and work. I am provided a bedroom to sleep which is so crowded that my things are on top of each other three times high. I need a place to work to make a living and I need relaxation for my muscles and bones that prevent me from going outside the home to work. I thought there were a lot of government grants out there to help people in my position. Or is that money to help start a business? I hear so much about all the money out there to get but I don't know where to look for it for my needs. These are not desires - these are needs to function in this world I live in. Mentally, it is depressing not to have a place to work or a place that is just my area tolive and work in. It seems I would be eligible for something. Is there? What are the basis for these grants? How are you to become eligible?
Sheila,

If you are in need of place to work, then you can go out, work, and either rent or purchase a place that suits your needs better. We live in a country where by working hard and competing, we are able to get better homes and better properties to live and use. That, however, must come from you, and not a grant if you are solely trying to use the money for what the government would term "selfish means" (as I explained in my previous answer, you are not a victim of a natural disaster who is in need of housing, nor are you a charitable institution).

Grants can sometimes be available for people who are trying to start work, or purchasing a home, or trying to patent and develop a new idea. Giving you money to build a jacuzzi in your parent's house does not qualify, no matter how much your muscles and bones ache.

Kindly compensate me for my time.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not want money to build a jacuzzie in my home. I wanted a room. I would provide a jacuzzi not using grant $. I am not able to get out and rent a place to work. I am disabled and thought you understood that. I am not selfish by no means. I have heard that grants are available to disabled people to start business, etc. & many other things and I thought you could help me locate these places. I think you think I just desire and want and expect everything free in life. I've worked hard for 28 years and I don't appreciate your attitude towards me. Have a nice and blessed life. Sheila
Ma'am,

You did not describe yourself as disabled, but merely as "tired" and as one who wished to build a room in your home to live in.

As I explained before, options and grants for starting a business do exist--but they do not exist for you to build an addition to your home.

I apologize that you did not like your answer, but the information I provided to you was accurate.

Kindly compensate me for my time.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.