skelly151
skelly151, Lawyer
Experience:  Litigation specialist, Probate and Estate law, Collection law, contract disputes, builder issues
8748477

Im trying to get an occupational license. The court date i

Customer Question

Im trying to get an occupational license. The court date i have set up is this Thursday. i'm representing myself because i have no time nor money to hire a lawyer. My the clerk at the court told me to know how to represent myself in a courtroom and to know court room procedures. I have have no idea what these are at all. I mean, i know i'd dress professional and have my papers together but im not sure how to go about pleading my case or anything in that nature. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Expert:  skelly151 replied 5 years ago.
You will bring all documentation in triplicate so the court and you and any witnesses will be able to look at it. You need to stick to the facts of why you should win. Do not be emotional and convince the judge why the facts support your side. Do not interrupt and you are not allowed to question other witnesses as that is a function of being a lawyer but you can argue your own testimony to the judge. Finally, look professional and dress up for court. It sounds like they are people friendly so that is good.
skelly151, Lawyer
Experience: Litigation specialist, Probate and Estate law, Collection law, contract disputes, builder issues
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok cool that makes sense. Is there any "court rules" i need to go by like things i need to say, when to say those things or is it pretty much black and white? I've never been in a court room before so i have no idea as to what procedures are or anything of that nature.
Expert:  skelly151 replied 5 years ago.
When the court asks you to speak then do it succintly and directly It surprisingly is alot like what you see on TV. Watch Drop Dead Diva. They do a couple cases a week and i think are fairly true to how a courtroom functions. Good luck