Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience:  California lawyer since 1976.
11056146

is it against the law to walk out and leave your wife of 20

is it against the law to walk out and leave your wife of 20 years and take nothing with you but some of your clothes? We own no home and our daughter is 18 years old.
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear of your marital problems.

If by "is it against the law" you mean "is it criminal", then the answer is no, it is not against the law.

There are civil considerations such as dissolution of the marital status, division of any marital assets, and perhaps spousal support, that will have to be addressed if either party decides to legally end the marriage.

If neither party seeks a dissolution and no other court proceedings are filed by either, then there would be no immediate legal consequences of the departure of the husband.

Thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer. If you have any other questions, please let me know.