legallysound
legallysound, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Corporate, Business, Contracts, Real Estate, Pre-nuptial agreements, Landlord-tenant
13480140

I owned a home for 23 years until the flood of 2006.I moved

Customer Question

I owned a home for 23 years until the flood of 2006.I moved into a trailer park 9-1-06 I signed a lease that included sewer and garbage. Also I paid a security for my mini pincher and my cat. Last year in Oct. of 2008 the rent was raised for the garbage and sewer. I have'nt been able to sign a new lease since then and I have asked to do so.I recycle I have one tall kitchen bag a week that I put in the dumpster. I just got a letter saying that this Oct. that our rent is gong to be raised again 15 dollars a month. I keep my home imaculate and have done upgrades to improve my home. I a year ago gave a list of very dangerous repairs that needed immediate att. Smoke detectors light sockets electrical sockets etc. I am 3 of 57 trailers that has fire renters insurance because I am afraid for my safety. I have never missed or been late on my rent and also have had to do repairs that were supposed to be done 2 years ago . Thankyou Tammy
Expert:  legallysound replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Can you please tell me your question? Your full posting did not go through, so if this is redundant, I apologize.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HELLO, I LIVE IN HALLSTEAD PA. I LOST MY HOME OF 23 YEARS IN THE FLOOD OF 2006.I HAD FLOOD INSUREANCE BUT THEY WOULD NOT HELP ME IN ANY WAY.I STAYED THERE FOR 3 MONTHS AFTER THE FLOOD BUT I DIDN,T HAVE THE FUNDS TO MAKE THE NESSARY REPAIRS THERE WERE TO MANY AND VERY EXPENSIVE.AND THE HOUSE BECAME MOLD INFESTED AND I BECAME VERY ILL .ANY WAY MY QUESTION IS I MOVED FROM THAT HOUSE .AND RENTED A MOBILE HOME IN A MOBILE HOME PARK IN HALLSTEAD PA.I SIGNED A LEASE FOR 1 YEAR AND GARBAGE AND SEWER WERE INCLUDED IN THE RENT.AND A FEW MONTHS AFTER I MOVED IN A RECEIVED A LETTER SAYING THAT MY RENT WAS BEING INCREASED DO TO THE FACT THAT THE COST OF THE GARBAGE AND SEWER WENT UP BUT IT IS INCLUDED IN THE RENT.AND I RECEIVED ANOUTHER LETTER YESTERDAY SAYING THE SAME THING.IS IT LEGAL FOR A LAND LORD TO INCREASE YOUR RENT FOR THINGS THAT ARE INCLUDED IN YOUR RENT AND IS STATED IN YOUR LEASE. AND WHEN MY FIRST LEASE EXPIRED THE LAND LORD WOULD NOT RENEW IT.DOES THE TERMS OF THE FIRST LEASE STILL APPLY.THANK YOU, TAMMY

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HELLO I WAS WOUNDERING IF I WILL BE GETTING A REPLY TO MY QUESTION ANY TIME SOON?I REALLY NEED A REPLY ASAP SO I KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO ABOUT THIS MATTER.THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP. TAMMY
Sorry for the delay in responding.

If the lease says that these items are included, then they are included. My concern is that the lease may also say that increases are possible as long as a certain amount of notice is provided to you. If it does say that, then increases are possible. If it does not say that, then you do not need to pay it.

Allowances for increases are sometimes allowed due to changes in circumstances (trash, sewer, etc.). But your written contract is all that matters here, so if someone like the landlord promises something verbally, it means zero.

If you are not currently in a lease, then your rights are even less because that means you are on a month-to-month basis and the landlord can change items with much less notice --- usually a month. And no, the terms of your old lease would no longer apply. The new terms can be whatever you two agree on.

As for the items needing to be repaired, you can fix all those items and deduct the cost from your rent if you have given the landlord "written" (not verbal) notice of the repairs. Thank you.

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer.