MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

While at home, my pistol accidentaly discharged, the bullet

While at home, my pistol accidentaly discharged, the bullet exited through my door went through the wall of my neighbor's apartment and lodged in her fire place. No one was hurt or injured by the bullet; after several attempts to contact my neighbor, I placed some tape over the bullet holes so as not to alarm my neighbor. After this was reported to the county police, I was charged with discharging a firearm within the city and for hindering and obstructing despite the fact that i was a police officer at the time of the accident. The court dismissed both charges. As a result of these charges I was terminated from my job. My question is what legal recourse do I have against the police and prosecutor?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
1) A suit for filing a frivolous claim could be waged against the prosecutor.

2) Against the police, wrongful termination.

But be advised, that both would be very weak claims, from your description it sounds like although the charges were dropped, you did cause the pistol to discharge, even if by accident and not while acting under color of law.