Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

I have a writ body attachment for failure to appear in Indiana

I have a writ body attachment for failure to appear in Indiana and I live in New Jersey. This failure was for arrears in child support for my Daughter who I have legal custody of.

Will New Jersey enforce an out of state writ?

Thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

No, unless you are within 100 miles of the court in Indiana. A writ of body attachment is a process issued by the court directing the U.S. Marshal to bring a person who has been found in civil contempt before the court. The process may also be called an order of commitment for civil contempt or a warrant for civil arrest.

TERRITORIAL LIMITS: An order of civil commitment of a person held to be in contempt of a decree or injunction issued to enforce the laws of the United States may be served and enforced anywhere in the United States. An order of civil commitment of a person held to be in contempt of a decree or injunction not involving the enforcement of federal law may only be served at any place within the state in which the district court is located, or at any place outside of the state that is within 100 miles of the courthouse.

Since this is a state matter and not a federal one, the limit is 100 miles.

My ultimate goal is your satisfaction. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question afterward clicking ACCEPT, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption. Thank you for your consideration.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you.