Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

If I have suspended license, can I still get a car titled

Customer Question

If I have suspended license, can I still get a car titled and registered in my name?
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

What city and state are you in?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Detroit, Michigan. I purchased the car from an individual owner and I just want it in my name. I'm currently in the process of paying whatever fees owed on tickets.
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

Ok, all motor vehicles and trailers used on Michigan roads must be registered and display valid license plates. A registration shows the plate number and what vehicle that plate is registered to. To register a motor vehicle, provide either the previous registration or proof of insurance and ownership documents.

According to the Michigan Dept of State:

All persons processing a title application must present a Michigan or out-of-state photo driver license or ID card.

Individuals who need to obtain a title may process an application at any Secretary of State branch office. Title applications require proof of vehicle ownership and proper identification.

So it looks like you could present an ID card to get a car registered as long as you have proof of insurance on the vehicle.

Within 15 days of buying a vehicle, you must title it in your name at a Secretary of State branch office. Failure to transfer the title within that time will result in a $15 late fee. At the time of titling, a $15 title transfer fee will be collected as well as 6% use tax.

Thanks.