Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty. since 1986; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions

How do I check if someone has a federal tax lien

How do I check if someone has a federal tax lien?

What country are you in?

Does the "someone" own any real estate?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I paid a service that told me there is a federal tax lien on someone I am thinking of doing business with. I says: Anderson, Arleen, Individual record, Filing date: 20071018 (there were no "slashes") Amount $54,371, Aptos, CA, Court Code CASCZC1, Santa Cruz County Court, Federal Tax Lien.

What it doesn't tell me is whether it was paid or is still outstanding. Trying to find out if it was paid. I don't want to do business with someone who doesn't pay their taxes.

If it's been paid, a subsequent document would have been filed, called something similar to "satisfaction of lien."

You could ask the company if they gave you the most recently filed document. If so (that is, if the most recently filed doc was the lien) you can be assured that the lien has not been paid.