Justice4U
Justice4U, Attorney
Experience:  Broad base of legal experience.
16110456

I am being sued by my old apartment complex. I left with about

Customer Question

I am being sued by my old apartment complex. I left with about 5 months left on the lease. A process server delivered some paperwork titled: Order on motion for order to perfect motor vehicle lien. I think they are trying to liquidate my car and use that money to go towards what I owe the apartment complex. I currently finance my car and owe more than its worth. How can they sue me for my car when it belongs to the finance company?
Expert:  Justice4U replied 5 years ago.
It appears the landlord has obtained a judgment against you and is attempting to satisfy that judgment against the value in your vehicle. You should appear at any court appearances on this matter. Contact a local legal aid office which provides free or low cost legal services to represent you. The judgment creditor may not be aware of the lien holder on your vehicle. The judgment creditor appears to have obtained a lien. As you are currently financed, you will retain your vehicle. If you sell your vehicle, both your financing lender and this new lien holder will need to be paid before you can transfer the title.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So i make more than the requirements need to get free help. What does estimated cost to hire a lawyer to help me with this issue?
Expert:  Justice4U replied 5 years ago.
There is a large variance. It will depend on how many hours of work this takes. It appears that the landlord has already obtained the lien so there will very little left to do, if anything, at this point. You may be able to hire an attorney to assist you for $150 - $200 per hour. Shop arround and make sure the attorney is a good fit for your needs.

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
since all i need to do is show my finance details to the court, cant i just make an appt. to show the judge this myself without an attorney? It seems very strait forward. WHo do I need to contact to furnish these details?
Expert:  Justice4U replied 5 years ago.
I appologize if there was confusion, but speaking with the judge at this point will not prevent the judgment creditor from obtaining a lien. It appears the lien has already been obtained. Based on your current situation, the judgment creditor will retain the lien until you pay the debt. If you sell the vehicle, you will need to pay the lien amount. This is a method used to make sure you pay the debt. You could consider bankruptcy as a means of dealing with the issue. You will need to allow a bankruptcy attorney to go over your finances in detail to determine if bankruptcy is feasible.

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.