Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

What happens if I dont pay the lawyer

What happens if I don't pay the lawyer?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Good morning. A debt to a lawyer is pretty much like every debt.   He could go to court and seek a judgment against you and then pursue your assets for collection.   But, he must prove you owe the money to get the judgment. If you signed an Engagement Agreement with him, that makes it much easier on him because it shows you agreed to engage him, pay him his fee, and when the fee would be paid.   If you did not sign an Engagement Agreement, he is going to have difficulty proving you ever had a meeting of the minds as to what he was due and when he was due it.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you’ve made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.
Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I feel my divorce attorney was lousy, and charges way too much. I don't want to pay my last bill. What can I do in that regard? Do I file some complaint? Will the system work against me and damage my credit? Can she take personal revenge, like release my personal info? If she does, do I have recourse?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I asked two separate questions, an original question, and a reply question. I got one answer, but I got charged twice. Will I be getting an answer to my reply question?

Thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I'm traveling today. If you felt you lawyer was lousy, tell her why you are not paying. If she persists tell her you are going to file a grievance with the state bar and also look into a legal malpractice claim. Lawyers hate that because they have to notify their carrier. She won't damage your rep in any way because she could lose her license.
Richard, Attorney
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, that was extremely helpful. Now I'd like to take it a step farther. The day before the court date, I asked my lawyer if the court appearance would be routine, and nothing in the separation agreement would be changed (i.e. my ex-wife and I would split the cost of childcare). She answered "YES!" by email. Well, that's not what happened. Instead, my wife got awarded 10,000 per year for 16 years. Because my lawyer did not anticipate any problems (as she said in her email), she did not prepare for what happened in court, and I got screwed. Can I sue her for damages?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you may file a legal malpractice suit against your lawyer.   You will need to document everything very meticulously. Organize all your correspondence, including emails, and make notes of all conversations and dates.   Then, you've got to find a lawyer to handle your case....that takes a bit of doing, because as you can imagine lawyers are often hesitant to sue other lawyers. Most of these get settled before trial. Good luck to you!
Richard, Attorney
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much! You are worth every penny!
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
My pleasure! Thank you for the positive feedback and the bonus! Both are very much appreciated! Good luck to you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'm back!

Given my divorce situation as above (10K) in child support per year, I pay no alimony), what happens in a few years if I get an inheritance? Will my ex-wife be able to claim part of it? If so, what part? Should I tell my parents to leave their money to someone else who can distribute it equitably once my child is emancipated? If so, who should they leave it to? A lawyer or accountant in trust?

Thanks!

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. An inheritance would be your sole and separate property and your ex-wife would have no claim to that. What happens frequently though is, not necessarily because of a divorce but because of worries about possible future creditors (especially today in light of the economy and foreclosures, etc.) that parents will leave their inheritance in trust from their children (i.e., you)..that way the funds are available for their children as needed, but beyond the reach of creditors.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.
Richard, Attorney