LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

Is it a federal crime to break into someones email account

Is it a federal crime to break into someone's email account and threaten another from it? If so, are there statutes of limitations to press charges?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law litigation experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. I would be glad to interact with you further if needed after you click "Accept" to process my answer.
  2. "Is it a federal crime to break into someone's email account and threaten another from it?" Yes. E-mail "hacking" is a federal crime which carries a prescribed penalty of imprisonment and/or a fine pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 2701.

3. "If so, are there statutes of limitations to press charges?" The statute of limitations for initiating a civil action is not later than two years after the date upon which the claimant first discovered or had a reasonable opportunity to discover the violation. The statute of limitations for instituting criminal proceedings is within five years after the commissions of the offense.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.