Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international

can a church with a 501c3 invest if so are there any restrictions

Customer Question

can a church with a 501c3 invest? if so are there any restrictions as to what they can invest in and with whom?
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 years ago.
What is the type of investment to be made?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

An investment of church funds with an investment firm.

Yes you can make this type of investment. In terms the nature of the investments, that is governed by the church's governing documents. If they are silent youo can restrict the investments to things trust funds can invest in which is high quality bonds, large capitalization stocks, etc. The goal should be income and preservation of capital and not highly speculative investments.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.