Knowledge 24/7
Knowledge 24/7, Attorney
Experience:  Extensive Experience in Real Estate, Contract, and Business Law
10097719

What is the statute of limitations on a utility bill in Florida.

What is the statute of limitations on a utility bill in Florida. I lived in Orlando from 1999 to 2000 and then moved to Sanford FL. I moved ton Denver in 2005. About a month ago I got a phone call from a debt collector telling me I owe an Orlando utility bill of $71.00. What took them so long???? Do I have to pay this bill?
Expert:  Knowledge 24/7 replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Based on the date of last activity, statute of limitations is enforced on all kinds of debt. Check the date when your account last became delinquent. In Florida, legal collections are taken place within 5 years. Once the debt is out of the SOL period, you won't have to bother paying the debt.

Remember, if you make any payment or sign any written agreement, the SOL will be renewed from the beginning.

I do not know what took them so long, but this is beyond the statutes of limitations so I would not pay it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Thank you