Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

Can I counter file PFA (Protection for Abuse) Is it legal

Customer Question

Can I counter file PFA (Protection for Abuse)? Is it legal? Cos my wife file against me and upon reading her statement i noticed it was bunch of lies. I want to counter file. If it is possible, would the judge do both hearing on the same day since i she has PFA and i also have PFA. Or there will be different date for both PFAs hearing. Can i also have the court postpone her PFA hearing date since my lawyer is on vacation? Do i need to tell the court i'm counter filing PFA cos what my wife file against me were false accusations or i should just go there and file as if she hasn't file anything against me. please advise.
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

The court does not typically postpone PFA hearings. However, the judge may do so based upon your attorneys vacation.

You can also file for a PFA. When your PFA would be heard is a scheduling issue that you would need to discuss with the court clerk.