Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

If I am fired from my job will I still be eligible for pension

If I am fired from my job will I still be eligible for pension benefits upon retirement?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Whether or not you are eligible for your pension benefits depends on how the benefit plan is written. If it is written in such a way that once you are vested or meet a certain number of years of service, that you are entitled to it, then a job firing won't effect that. If, on the other hand there is a proviso in the plan that says that under certain conditions that your benefits can be forfeited, then potentially a termination may cancel your eligibility for pension benefits. Having said that, assuming that you are vested, it is difficult to think of too many situations where losing your job will make you ineligible for pension benefits. The best thing to do is to get a copy of the pension plan documents and read what it says about vesting and eligibility once employment is terminated.