NYLAWLADY
NYLAWLADY, Attorney
Experience:  15 YEARS PRIVATE GENERAL PRACTICE CIVIL APPEALS, LITIGATION
19692210

I have B1 B2 type of Visa. Im here in USA and I want to buy

I have B1\B2 type of Visa. I'm here in USA and I want to buy a car. I heard that nobody can buy a car without Social Security Number. I want to stay here for a year or more and I don't want to rent a car all the time. So, I want to know every legal (and not too much) possibilities to get able to buy a car without SSN.
Expert:  NYLAWLADY replied 7 years ago.
The SSN is only one problem. In order to have the car registered in your name, you will need a valid driver's license and insurance coverage, depending on the state, you may not be able to obtain these so easily. You should check the Department of Motor Vehicles websites for several states and see those requirements. New York has very strict requirements as does New Jersey. If you are financing, then you will need a SSN so your credit can be checked. You may have to have someone buy the car for you however, getting it registered in your name will be harder.
If I've helped, please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work. This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. Consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction for specific legal advice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, as the SSN is the only thing which prevents me from buy a car, so how can I get this SSN?
Expert:  NYLAWLADY replied 7 years ago.
You cannot get one with your visa status you need to be a permanent resident or citizen or student.If I’ve helped, please press the green ACCEPT button so I may get credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. These responses are for informational purposes only and so not constitute legal advice and therefore do not create an attorney client relationship
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Alright. So, to get a SSN, I need to change my Visa status, as I understand. Are you sure that having a Green Card or being a student are the only ways to get the SSN? What about working Visa (H2B or others)? What are the ways to change my status to another status which could allow me to get the SSN, and finally get the Driver's license? Please answer more open.
Expert:  NYLAWLADY replied 7 years ago.
Yes if your employers sponsors you, you will be issues an SSN and then you should be able to purchase the car.Good Luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, but what are you talking about? Which employers? I'm a visitor here... Sorry, but i cannot accept this answer, it seems you don't even remember the previous correspondence.
Expert:  NYLAWLADY replied 7 years ago.
Ye, you asked how you get an SSN and I gave you te three ways, either by green card, student visa or as an employee. You cannot get one as a visitor. You asked about the working visa and that was the answer I gave you. As a visitor, you may be able to purchase the car, cash and have it shipped out of the country, yo will have to make these arrangements at the dealer you purchase it from. But you need to show documentation that it will leave the country. Otherwise you will not be able o purchase it and drive it in the states without insurance.If I've helped, please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback or a bonus is always appreciated. Thank you very much. These responses are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created.