Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

If you have a license in NC and are convicted in SC of DUI,

If you have a license in NC and are convicted in SC of DUI, does NC impose penalties as well?
Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Well they may suspend your license here or not allow renewal if yours was suspended in SC here.
Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.
Reference to NC law on suspension..

"There are a variety of reasons why your North Carolina driver's license might be suspended. Some of these are related to specific driving violations, while others may be due to violation of other State laws. Following are some of the most common reasons for a North Carolina driver's license to be suspended or revoked.
•Excessive Moving Violations. The state of North Carolina operates on a point system, in which drivers accumulate points on their license for every moving violation they commit. If you accumulate 12 or more points in any three year period of your driver record, your license will be suspended.
•Driving Under the Influence. Your North Carolina driver's license will be suspended if you are found guilty of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The length of the suspension depends on the severity of the violation and whether it is a first or repeat offense.
Manslaughter with or without the influence of alcohol or drugs. Your North Carolina's driver's license will be suspended for one year if you cause manslaughter. This suspension becomes permanent if you were additionally under the influence.
•Driving without Insurance. All motor vehicles driven in North Carolina must be properly insured. Failure to provide proof of valid auto insurance can result in your license being suspended.
•Driving with a Suspended License or no License. Driving with a suspended license will lead to an increase in the length of the suspension, and you may also be imprisoned for up to five years. The duration of the additional suspension varies depending on the reason for the underlying suspension. Your driver's license may also be suspended if you do not have your license with you while you are driving.
•Physical or Psychological Disqualification. The DMV can order a re-examination of any person who may not be fit to drive. An individual's driving privileges may be suspended if the re-examination finds they are physically or psychologically unable to drive safely.
•Other Driving-Related Violations. Your North Carolina driver's license may also be suspended if you engage in reckless driving, are found to be at fault in a fatal accident, or if you abandon your vehicle on a public highway or indulge in mutually agreed racing on a highway.
•Non-Driving Reasons for License Suspension. A variety of non-driving violations or issues can result in your license being suspended. These include not responding to a Division of Motor Vehicles notice or not appearing in court, obtaining a license or learner's permit under false pretense, betting or loaning a car for the purpose of racing, refusal to submit to a breath test failing to pay traffic tickets, fines or surcharges and not paying child support.
•Speeding. If you manage to accrue two charges of speeding above 55 mph by at least 15 mph in a one-year period, your license will be suspended. If you are caught speeding over 75 mph, this will increase the severity of the suspension"
Ray, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law