Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

Is it illegal to send nude photos via email to others without

Is it illegal for someone to send nude photos of you via email to others without your knowledge in the state of Missouri?
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
If the person in the photos ia a minor, then this would constitute possession and distribution of child pornography. These are federal offenses that can put a person in prison for many years.

It's a more difficult situation to analyze if the person in the pictures is an adult. If so, it's much more difficult to say whether the actions were illegal. Any analysis would include whether the pictures were obtained with the consent of the person in the pictures. If the person in the pictures had knowledge and gave consent for the pictures to be taken and kept, there is an argument that the "owner" could do whatever he wanted with the pictures.

However, the analysis doesn't necessarily end there. Did the person ask for them back? Did the person expressly state that they could NOT be distributed? Is the person using them to harass the other person? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then law enforcement MAY be willing to get involved. If they will not investigate, the person would still have the ability to get a restraining order (RO). The RO would prohibit the person from harassing the person in the pictures and/or distributing the pictures any further.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!
Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law