LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My sons father and I were divorced when he was two. He is now

My sons father and I were divorced when he was two. He is now 38 and has only seen his father a couple of times in the last few years. His Dad died in June and I was hopeing he would leave him something. His Dad was remarried but neither have any other children. He was well off and would have been able to help Mike who lost his job at GM. How long does it take before he would here something and is there something that would say that Mike would need to be acnowledged.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

If Mike's father had a will, there was no obligation that Mike be included in the will as a beneficiary of the estate.

If by chance your ex died without a will, it is possible that your son is entitled to part of the estate.

If there was a will that needed to be probated, it would be reasonable to expect that Mike would have been contacted by now.

The best way to approach this would be for you, or Mike, to contact the widow and ask directly whether there was a will or not, and if there was a will, was Mike a beneficiary.

I wish you and your son well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug