MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

I have a situation in which utilities r in my name on a house

I have a situation in which utilities r in my name on a house that I do not own or rent. I put them in my name for a short period to help someone. However I feel I need to have those utilities disconnected asap. The person residing there is probably unable to put those utilities in their name. Will I be liable and/or violating any laws by shutting those utilities off?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
actually, you cannot shut the utilities off, only the electric company can do that, but you can take your name off of the account. This would be a very simple and easy thing to do, just contact the electric company. You are not legally bound to keep the ulities in your name.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank u. so I call to have my name taken off then the utility companys take over dealing with the person living there from that point?