Legal Eagle, Attorney
Experience:  19 years of private practice.

what kind of law would sewage back-up fall under to select

Customer Question

what kind of law would sewage back-up fall under to select a lawyer?
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 7 years ago.

Can you provide us with a bit of background on what occurred? Where was the line failure and who is responsible?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The blockage was about 500 feet away from my house on the city line. This blockage had been happening every since 2006. In May 2009, it became more than a blockage to me, it flooded my home. Every time that I could not flush out, I would check my line and make sure that it was clear and then call the city and they in turn would call a plumber out to unblock the line. Now at this very moment, they a pvc pipe in the sewer hub where they say that it was blocked at.

I would suggest an attorney with experience dealing with municipalities and property law. I would make sure and ask if the lawyer is familiar with filing governmental claims as well since this is a precondition to suing a municipality. Your state bar will have a registry of lawyers in your area with a general area of practice. Typically that is a general list. is a search engine for lawyers and you can search for a lawyer in your local area using the "terms" or words I outlined above. Frankly I would start there as it gives more background on the individual lawyer.

I am sorry this is happening. Sewer problems are terrible. Please let me know if I can offer you any more assistance.

Legal Eagle, Attorney
Experience: 19 years of private practice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Okay, thanks. I'll try that?

Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
What response have you received from your homeowner's insurance?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

At first, my homeowners insurance ruled that because a clause: Section I - Exclusions

B. 2 Water Damage

b. Water or water-borne material which backs up throuh sewers or drains or which

overflows or is discharged from a sump, sump pump, or related equipment.

that there was not coverage for the damages. But now there will be an adjuster coming out next week or so to check it out. ???????? So in the mean time I am looking for a lawyer just in case the ruling is the same. I've had to add pop-up valves to my clean out line, hoping that will help if it decides to back up again. There is that possibility! I've lived this way for too long, still having to pay a house note, taxes and a sewage bill.

Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I received the same answer but we have filed suit so we will see what happens.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My problem is trying to find a lawyer around here that will take my case!!!

Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
We can't recommend any specific attorneys, sorry.