Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

I signed a lease yesterday under the premise that the first

I signed a lease yesterday under the premise that the first month was free, the signs are posted everywhere outside the complex and it is advertised online this way, but they never expressed it to me verbally and i only had to pay the security deposit , today they told me since my credit wasnt high enough that it didnt apply to me and i had to pay the first months rent as well as the security deposit. Do i have to pay both, also can i break the lease since it has only been a day, I gave them 400 dollars already, can i get that back?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Good Evening,

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Immediately take pictures of the signs and print out the ad they have on line.

Go to the Renting agent, or whoever you met with to sign the lease. If they will not act inaccordance with their advertising, immediately notify them in writing that you demnd your security deposit returned because they misrepresented their offer of the "first month free rent". Additionally tell them you were not informed that this was a qualified offer and "good offer" was ambiguoous. What standards did they apply, What credit score did they require, etc., They could apply a different meaning to different individuas.

In the letter also include a statement that you are willing to lease the property IF they make good on their offer. Otherwise, you will take them to court for the return of your security deposit.

You should work very quickly on this so that they do not have a chance to sue you first and say you signed the lease and changed your mind about moving in.

Be prepared to take them to small claims court. Let them know you are serious about wanting the apartment, but that you are just as serious about taking them to court if they do not make good on the advertisements, or refuse to return your security deposit.

Kindly click the "ACCEPT" button so that I may receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and Bonus, etc. are always appreciated.

Thank yu and Good Luck!

ANDREA - Attorney at Law & Legal Expert

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your quick help