How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56234
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented an apt for 3 years, after 2 some repairs were needed

Resolved Question:

I rented an apt for 3 years, after 2 some repairs were needed for a busted water pipe under the apts, the walls were never completely finished i waited a year plus, then the water was shut off for non payment from the landlord, i withheld the rent for two months before leaving, but even after 30 days, havent heard anything from the landlord. am I entitle to my security deposit back. The city code enforcement was warning the landlord he had repairs and water issues to handle and hadnt before I left, the water was off a week and still off when I left?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You cannot withold rent even if these issues are not addressed. The recourse was to file suit against the landlord and seek a rent credit. At this point I would not pursue the security deposit since you withheld rent.
INFOLAWYER and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you