INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I rented an apt for 3 years, after 2 some repairs were needed

I rented an apt for 3 years, after 2 some repairs were needed for a busted water pipe under the apts, the walls were never completely finished i waited a year plus, then the water was shut off for non payment from the landlord, i withheld the rent for two months before leaving, but even after 30 days, havent heard anything from the landlord. am I entitle to my security deposit back. The city code enforcement was warning the landlord he had repairs and water issues to handle and hadnt before I left, the water was off a week and still off when I left?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You cannot withold rent even if these issues are not addressed. The recourse was to file suit against the landlord and seek a rent credit. At this point I would not pursue the security deposit since you withheld rent.