MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

there is a leak in the ceiling of my closet (from the water

there is a leak in the ceiling of my closet (from the water heater) that has ruined/stained my clothes. i live in los angeles. is my apartment complex also responsible for the dry cleaning bill? if so, how can i make sure they take care of it?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
yes the apartment complex is liable. to ensure that they pay for it, submit a written letter requesting payment for the drycleaning and/or replacement value of the clothes that are not salvageable. Explain in the letter than if repayment is not submitted within ten days, you will deduct it from the following month's rent.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for a the quick response. if they refuse repayment, what course of action should i take at that time?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
sue them in small claims court. Be sure to review your lease for any waiver of liability and requirement that you first file a claim with your renter's insurance in a situation like this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what information/proof do i need to ensure success in small claims court?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
Evidence of the leak, the proximimity of the clothes to the leak (pictures would do), and statement of the landlord's unwillingness to pay for the damage.