Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

If someone spreads untrue info about who you allegedly slept

If someone spreads untrue info about who you allegedly slept with. There is not an ounce of truth and the person said I slept with his brother. He had four brothers and they are all deceased. Reason for disrespect was that I admittedly told my eldest son that he was not my ex husbands son. This was probably a mistake on my part. His father was someone I dated prior to my marriage. Obviously. My ex knew about the truth so there was no deception involved at all. Certainly no reason for my daughter in laws father to slander my name. Please advise.

Hi there. I understand how this would be deeply offensive and make you want to consider what options are available to you. You may in fact have an action for slander. Let me explain what slander is and then you can make the determination whether or not it is something you wish to pursue.

I am going to provide you information on both slander and libel since they are so closely related and so often confused with each other.

Both involve the communication of false information about a person, group or entity. Libel is any defamation that can be seen....writings, printing, effigy, movie or statue. Slander, is any defamation that is spoken and heard.

They are civil injuries that harm reputation, cause a reduction in respect, regard or confidence, or cause disparaging, hostile or disagreeable opinions or feelings against an individual or entity.

The laws regarding libel and slander are the same.

To prevail in a suit for libel or slander and recover damages, you must prove 4 things: (i) the defendant conveyed a defamatory message they knew or should have known to be false; (ii) the material was published (i.e., conveyed to someone other than you); (iii) you can be identified as the the person referred to in the defamatory material; and (iv) you suffered an injury to your reputation as a result of the communication.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you've made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live in New Jersey and the person who slandered me lives in Florida. What law would apply?

Being that you live in New Jersey, the claim would have sufficient ties New Jersy to allow you to file the suit in New Jersey. They may try to have it removed to Florida...but I would force them to attempt this and even then I doubt the court would allow it. It comes down to facts and circumstances so I can't give you an absolute...just my thoughts based on experience. Best of luck to you!