Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

We were told that our neighbor is telling others that our security

We were told that our neighbor is telling others that our security cameras are pointed into their back yard, specifically at their outdoor shower and that we are watching their 20 something year old daughter and her friends. From my backyard I heard the neighbor tell her friend that we have security cameras pointed at her outdoor shower. These accusations are completely false. We do have security cameras, but they are directed only along the perimeter of our house. There are small areas of their property that are captured on camera. This is unavoidable. In NO way are these cameras directed at their outdoor shower nor is it physically possible. This not only appears to be malicious slander but also suggests criminal activity of a sexual nature. Please advise. Thank you.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

Dear tm1gate - You can file a suit for slander against your neighbor assuming you have an independent witness who would testify that these statements were made by the neighbor. I would assume you can also prove the fact that your cameras are not directed at their outdoor shower.

You can sue for damages however the mere fact of a lawsuit sometimes will stop people from continuing making these statements. There are no criminal charges you could file against them so a civil suit is your only option.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We would like to send a strongly worded letter telling them to apologize to us and to retract what they've said to our neighbors regarding their disgusting alligations. We would also like to have the letter describe the definition of slander including the specific penalties for their allegations of criminal conduct of a sexual nature. We would like it to say that if they do not we will proceed with a suit against them. Is this something we should have a lawyer do for us? Is this something you can do for us?

I am not permitted to actually represent clients from this website. I don't think you need to explain slander to anyone since it is simply the communication of lies and falsehoods which cause damage to another. You can write a letter simply stating that if the activity does not stop you intend to seek legal action against them for slander.

If they do not stop then you can contact a local lawyer and file a suit. It sounds like these people are not going to listen to a letter if they are prone to lie in the first place but you might as well try.

Dave

Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: 25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations