MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

Colorado statute of limitaions on medical debt - I am being

Colorado statute of limitaions on medical debt - I am being sued for collection of medical debt for services rendered over three years ago. Dates of sevice for different proceedures range from 12/31/03 to 3/3/06 which are all over three years. what is the satute of limitations on medical debt - hospital and doctor services, and is it reasonable to request that the case be dismissed based on the of the debt?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
Colorado has a three year statute of limitatios for contracts for goods or services. The statute begins to run at the time the debt was incurred. As such, the claims are barred by the SOL. This does not mean the debts are now invalid.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thaks for your quick response.

Can you confirm that Medical treatment bills are considered " Goods or Services"

I understand that a "signed Promissory note" has a SOL of 6 years in Colorado. Does "typical" admittance forms or doctor office forms consitute a promissory note and would that entend the SOL to 6 years. Does this apply for medical bills or is it limited to three years if they are considered "goods or services"?

You state that the SOL begins to run from the time that the debt was incurred. Is this the date that the services were provided? The collection firm/attorneys office stated that they had a 7 year SOL from the date they last received payment ( 6-18-2004). is that correct or are they providing me with false or misleading information? Are there different rules if a collection agent is involved?

Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
<p>Whether the admittance forms constitute a promissory note actually depends on the language of the form, but generally they do not constitute promissory notes. </p><p> </p><p>The collection agency is treating the debt as one debt when in fact, from your description there are a series of debts stemming from services rendered at different times. The SOL is three years, but they are correct in that the SOL starts again with each payment. </p>