Legal Professional
Legal Professional, Lawyer.
Experience:  JD, 10 years representing clients, 75+ Trials
9045092

i was told by the va hosp. that if a grown up elderly or young

i was told by the va hosp. that if a grown up elderly or young is in their right mind to reason and not doing any harm to themselves or to anyone else that they could not be made to go to the hospital is this true.also someone had given me power of attorney over there bills now being in there right mind as in wrtting up a will or last testimony i take care of all there bills for them i was told by a social worker that that power of attorney didn't mean a thing because the person was in there right mind.i had call the police they told me i could not make the individual go to the hospital and that they couldnt either.this other individual is trying to say its neglect on my part.i followed protocall from the hosipital and ect.
Expert:  Legal Professional replied 7 years ago.

It is true that you cannot force a competent person to do anything. Only if a court declares the incompetent, or they are clearly so, would you have a legal duty to intervene. And yes you cannot use a power of attorney to force them to go...

So, best I can tell, based on what you are saying you were not neglectful.