Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  General practice experience in many areas of law

I signed lease contact guaranty for an apartment for my son

I signed lease contact guaranty for an apartment for my son on 8/06 for six months. At the end of six months, he signed his own lease and I did not sign another contact. He was evicted in 6/09 and the apartment company wants me to pay for damages and etc. I do not believe I am required to pay for this.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

No, you would not be held responsible for his failure to pay rent or for damages caused if you only guaranteed rent for the first six months. Your evidence would be your guaranty agreement which is limited to the first six months for which rent has been paid. Additional evidence would be copies of the payments made for those six months.

You should read your guarantee agreement to make sure you are not responsible for damages upon your son's move out.